Sophie Wanek is an associate attorney with McCormally & Cosgrove, PLLC. Sophie was born and raised in Des Moines, Iowa and grew up down the street from the McCormally & Cosgrove office. Sophie is a second-generation attorney.
Sophie moved to Chicago to attend DePaul University for her undergraduate studies. She graduated Cum Laude with a double major in Political Science and English, with a concentration in Creative Writing, in 2017. After DePaul, Sophie moved back to Des Moines and attended Drake Law School, graduating with her Juris Doctorate in May 2021 and was admitted to the Iowa Bar in September 2021. While at Drake, Sophie specialized in classes related to a business and transactional practice and received her Business Law Certificate. Sophie was a member and editor for the Drake Journal of Agricultural Law, a member of the Delta Theta Phi Law Fraternity, a Student Ambassador, and President of Drake Law Women. Sophie practiced as a Student Attorney with the Drake Elder Clinic where she handled probate matters for clients in the Des Moines area. Sophie also spent a semester clerking for Judge Block the Polk County Associate Probate Judge.
Sophie has a general practice that includes family law, business law, probate, and juvenile matters. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her husband, Nicholas, yellow lab, Lincoln, and tabby cat, Logan.
- State of Iowa (2021)
- Iowa State Bar Association
- C. Edwin Moore Inn of Court
- Polk County Bar Association
- Polk County Women Attorneys
- Preparatory Education: DePaul University
- B.A. Political Science and English, Cum Laude 2017
- Legal Education: Drake University Law School
- J.D. 2021
- Drake Law Women: Baskets to Benefit Chair, President
- Drake Law School Integrated Study Group Leader
- Delta Theta Phi Law Fraternity
- Drake Journal of Agricultural Law; Junior Staff, Projects Editor
- Drake Law School Student Ambassador
- Law Clerk, McCormally & Cosgrove, (2020-2021)
- Judicial Intern, Polk County Associate Probate Judge, Judge Block, (2020-current)
- Student Attorney, Drake Elder Clinic, (2020-current)
- Law Clerk, Baer Law Office , (2019-2020)
- Law Clerk, Law Offices of David A. Morse , (2018-2020)